A Message from the President
Association reveals new name & logo,
announces priorities for 2024
Bill Rothman, Kilbourne Group
2024 HBA of F-M President
As part of our New Year Celebration last week, the Home Builders Association of Fargo-Moorhead unveiled our new name and logo to members and the community. We are now the Building Industry Association of the Red River Valley. In 2023, the Association’s leadership made renaming and rebranding the organization a high priority and established a task force of member volunteers to spearhead the effort. Special thanks to those individuals on the task force for giving their time and efforts!
• Gene Thurston, Hebron Brick Supply (co-chair)
• Shannon Roers Jones, Roers Construction Joint Venture LLC (co-chair)
• Sarah Dolyniuk, Great Northern Granite
• JT Froning, Legacy Plumbing
• Tim Gauer, Bell Bank
• John Gunkelman, JG Services, Inc.
• Kim Hochhalter, Building Concepts, Inc.
• Cecelia Jorud, Bell Bank
• Kelly McComb, Western Products, Inc.
• Jessica Metcalf, Thomsen Homes, LLC
• Trevor Odden, Stone Ridge Builders, Inc.
We believe this name change better represents the organization’s scope and vision, positioning us to continue expanding membership growth, be inclusive and forward-looking. The Association advocates for attainable housing and a strong building industry as it creates jobs, is an economic driver, and strengthens communities. Our bylaws were updated in 2008 to encompass commercial builders and commercial-construction-related companies. Over the years, the membership that the Association serves has broadened to include more than the residential building/remodeling industry. Throughout 2024, you will see our communications shifting toward the new name, use of the new colors, and updates to signage and materials.
About the logo design: The logo incorporates the BIA initials along with an outline of a home next to a taller commercial building. The Association rebranded its Red River Valley Home & Garden Show and Parade of Homes’ logos in 2023. The new BIA-RRV logo incorporates the same characteristics and color, drawing the dusty blue from the Parade and the gray from the Home & Garden Show.
In addition to the rebrand, I covered a high-level look at our other priorities for this year at the New Year Celebration.
• We are focused on growing our Very Invested Partner program (VIP), the 401k Pooled Employer Program (PEP) and to continue revitalizing the Home & Garden Show and Parade of Homes. If you are interested in these programs and events, please contact the office at (701) 232-5846.
• For political engagement and advocacy:
o Continue to lead and facilitate the campaign initiative “Return On Incentives.”
o As necessary, re-establish and grow the Codes Subcommittee to address coming changes.
o Remain engaged in the development and implementation of a Housing Study Task Force.
o During the Minnesota legislative session, engage members and check in with existing legislators. Work with the Builders Association of Minnesota's leadership and lobbyists.
o Be actively involved in the 2024 elections for local councils, commissions and state offices.
• When it comes to membership, we want to recruit 75 new members and get back to a 91 percent retention rate, focusing on engaging those members in their first, second and third years. We also want to engage with our Builder members to see focus on recruitment of non-member businesses they currently use.
There is no doubt that we need your engagement and support as members and community leaders more than ever. The New Year Celebration gave us a wonderful opportunity to connect with all of you! I thank those officials who were able to join us for the evening. It was also a privilege to hear from Jim Tobin, our National Association of Home Builders CEO, and gain insights into what we can expect for our industry and home market headed into the future.
Reminder: Giving Hearts Day is coming up Feb. 8. We are once again engaging in a friendly competition with the F-M Area Association of Realtors to see who can raise the most for the BIA-RRV’s charity, Home Builders Care of F-M Foundation. Help us keep the “Building the Future" Cup and donate here.
The future looks bright and I am excited to represent you as president this year! Please reach out to me or the office if you have any questions and would like to get more involved. Our power is in our members’ thoughts, voices and actions.
Below: The mayors and city officials get in the spirit of Giving Hearts Day at the New Year Celebration, wearing Home Builders Care sunglasses and posing with the "Building the Future" Cup.